So the tables were turned as the 2013 CMA Award winners were revealed. Not only for me but also for other Internet predictions centres. Taylor Swift ended up taking home the expected Musical Event of the Year and beat mega-favourite Carrie’s “Blown Away” at Music Video of the Year -both awards were shared with Tim McGraw & Keith Urban-. Taylor also took home two special prizes: CMA Pinnacle Award and the International Achievement Award both for her global achievements.
Kacey Musgraves only took home New Artist of the Year and surprisingly enough lost Song of the Year to “I Drive Your Truck”. However she was not beaten by Taylor at any award. Single of the Year and Female Vocalist were earned by their expected winners: Florida Georgia Line (who also received Vocal Duo) and Miranda Lambert.
However the major twist was George Strait winning Entertainer of the Year beating other more commercially-successful acts: Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift and Blake Shelton
Shelton, on the other hand, beat both Taylor and Kacey in Album of the Year for Based On A True Story.
Overall, I only got 5 out of 12 categories right. The complete list of winners is as follows:
- Single of the Year: Florida Georgia Line ─ “Cruise”
- Musical Event of the Year: “Highway Don’t Care” by Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift & Keith Urban
- Music Video of the Year: “Highway Don’t Care” by Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift & Keith Urban
- Song of the Year: “I Drive Your Truck” by Jessi Alexander, Connie Harrington & Jimmy Yeary
- Album of the Year: Blake Shelton ─ “Based On A True Story”
- Male Vocalist of the Year: Blake Shelton
- Vocal Duo of the Year: Florida Georgia Line
- Entertainer of the Year: George Strait
- New Artist of the Year: Kacey Musgraves
- Vocal Group of the Year: Little Big Town
- Female Vocalist of the Year: Miranda Lambert
- Musician of the Year: Mac McAnally
- 2013 CMA Award Winners: Taylor Swift, Keith Urban & More – Full List (hollywoodlife.com)