The 47th Annual Country Music Association (CMA) Awards will take place tonight -November 6th- at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. And all eyes are on Kacey Musgraves and Taylor Swift, this year’s most nominated artists, with six nods each. The two will battle to see who gets the most awards of the night.
Kacey Musgraves is one of this year’s breakthrough acts who released her first major label début just about eight months ago. On the other side we have Taylor Swift -everyone knows who she is- has been around for eight years now but has been moving towards a pop-oriented market. Both singers had been praised for their song-writing abilities. However while Musgraves touches social issues Taylor writes about personal storytelling.
Both artists are competing against each other in three categories: Album of the Year; Single of the Year; and Female Vocalist of the Year.
Kacey Musgraves is a hot favourite to win Album of the Year for Same Trailer, Different Park which is amongst the most critically-acclaimed albums of the year. Red by Taylor Swift, this year’s best-selling album, might be considered too pop for the country voters. On the other hand, things are not clear enough at the Female Vocalist category as they have also facing stiff competition from Carrie Underwood -this year’s host- and 3-time winner Miranda Lambert. Either of them is expected to win Single of the Year as Florida Georgia Line’s “Cruise”, this year’s best-selling country single with over 5 million downloads, have the best chances followed by Darius Rucker’s rendition of Bob Dylan’s song “Wagon Wheel” and “Mama’s Broken Heart” by Miranda Lambert -a song which happens to be co-written by Musgraves-
Musgraves is considered a lock for New Artist of the Year and Song of the Year -where she’s nominated twice-. Taylor is to be the runaway winner at Musical Event of the Year for “Highway Don’t Care” featuring Tim McGraw and Keith Urban. At the Music Video of the Year odds seem to be favouring Carrie Underwood. Taylor is also up for the Entertainer of the Year category (an award she’s won twice in 2009 and 2011). However internet odds and web polls forecast Luke Bryan as the winner instead. But let’s keep in mind Taylor is to receive the CMA Pinnacle Award. A non-competitive award which recognize country artists for selling figures.
If this scenario is correct Musgraves will be beating Taylor for 3 wins against 2. Let’s now check out the entire predictions:
- Entertainer of the Year: Taylor Swift
- Single of the Year: Florida Georgia Line ─ “Cruise”
- Album of the Year: Kacey Musgraves ─ Same Trailer, Different Park
- Song of the Year: “Mama’s Broken Heart” by Brandy Clark, Shane McAnally & Kacey Musgraves
- Female Vocalist of the Year: Miranda Lambert
- Male Vocalist of the Year: Luke Bryan
- Vocal Group of the Year: The Band Perry
- Vocal Duo of the Year: The Civil Wars
- Musical Event of the Year: “Highway Don’t Care” by Taylor Swift, Tim McGraw & Keith Urban
- Musician of the Year: Mac McAnally
- Music Video of the Year: Carrie Underwood ─ “Blown Away”
- New Artist of the Year: Kacey Musgraves
- CMA Awards predictions (Part 1) (countryinnewengland.wordpress.com)
- CMA Awards predictions (Part 2) (countryinnewengland.wordpress.com)
- Taylor Swift to receive CMA’s Pinnacle Award (miamiherald.com)
- CMA Awards: Taylor Swift, Kacey Musgraves lead nominees (cnn.com)