In a year of rappers and country singers supporting gay rights. And Miley Cyrus twerking and smoking joints everywhere (Happy Birthday Miley by the way). Nobody had paid the proper attention to Justin Timberlake’s incredible comeback to the music scene.
Justin Timberlake was -in the early 2000s- the equivalent of what (another Justin) Bieber is today for kids. However he is far much more talented and professional, less controversial, and is able to reach a wider audience that doesn’t stick to underage teens or pop music fans. And despite odds say otherwise but for all the right reasons (above) this can be Justin’s year at the American Music Awards, to take place tomorrow (November 24th) at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles.
Continuing with Justin. He currently holds 5 AMAs (three solo and two as a member of N*Sync) and his up to five categories this year -second most nominated artist behind Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and tied with Taylor Swift-. While things seems to be very easy for him to get Pop/Rock Male Artist and Soul/R&B Male Artist -awards he has won before- all eyes are on the top prize for Artist of the Year. A current twitter trend showed he has virtually no chance to get the award. Taylor instead is the hot favourite. And can she? Absolutely. But as I’ve mentioned before in forums while Taylor’s fierce fan base comes from kids aged 10-18. Justin reaches a wider audience. The battle, however, is among them two. The rest of the nominees -Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Bruno Mars, and Rihanna- all had a great a year but not as outstanding as Justin or Taylor.
Now while Taylor could be struggling to get Artist of the Year. She should be the runaway winner for Country Female Artist, Country Album and Pop/Rock Female Artist. In the Pop/Rock Album category she’s facing the stiffer competition from One Direction who are also up for Pop Duo/Group.
This year’s top nominees, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, didn’t stick to all the buzz they received a couple of months ago. Contesting six categories. They’ll be getting the Kohl’s New Artist of the Year award for sure. And could easily take Rap/Hip-Hop Artist and Album but I wouldn’t be surprised if Jay-Z beats them. On the other hand, the race for Single of the Year is much more tougher however. The top three best-selling singles of the year are in and any of them could win. However I’ll bet on “Blurred Lines” considering not only it was the highest selling but it’s also still receiving moderate radio airplay.
Rihanna who is receiving the very first “Icon Award” (no clue why) is nominated in four categories. She should have no problem getting Soul/R&B Female Artist and Soul/R&B Album but I highly doubt she could beat Taylor at Pop/Rock Female Artist. And if she failed to win Artist of the Year in 2012 -a year she went through a lot of buzz- I don’t see why she could be taking it this time.
And to wrap this up. Here is the rest of my predictions: Bruno Mars for Adult Contemporary Artist; Blake Shelton for Country Male Artist; Avicii for EDM Artist; Imagine Dragons for Alternative Artist; tobyMac for Contemporary Inspirational Artist; and Prince Royce for Latin Artist.
Anyways, here is a summary list
- Artist of the Year: Justin Timberlake
- Kohl’s New Artist of the Year: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist: Justin Timberlake
- Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist: Taylor Swift
- Favorite Pop/Rock Group/Duo: One Direction
- Favorite Pop/Rock Album: One Direction ─ Take Me Home
- Favorite Country Male Artist: Blake Shelton
- Favorite Country Female Artist: Taylor Swift
- Favorite Country Duo/Group: Florida Georgia Line
- Favorite Country Album: Taylor Swift ─ Red
- Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ─ The Heist
- Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist: Justin Timberlake
- Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist: Rihanna
- Favorite Soul/R&B Album: Rihanna ─ Unapologetic
- Favorite Alternative Artist: Imagine Dragons
- Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist: Bruno Mars
- Favorite Contemporary Inspirational Artist: tobyMac
- Favorite Latin Artist: Prince Royce
- Favorite Electronic Dance Music Artist: Avicii
- Favorite Soundtrack: Pitch Perfect
- Single of the Year: Robin Thicke ft. Pharrel & T.I. ─ “Blurred Lines”
Stay tuned as I’ll be writing my reactions for this year’s American Music Awards after the show.
- 2013 American Music Awards: 8 Things You Gotta Know (eonline.com)
- You: Exclusive: Rihanna to receive ‘Icon’ honor at American Music Awards (latimes.com)
- Get The List: Sunday Night’s American Music Awards Performers & Nominees (b96.cbslocal.com)